Microsoft SharePoint is a web application framework and platform. SharePoint integrates intranet, content management and document management.
SharePoint comprises a multipurpose set of Web technologies backed by a common technical infrastructure. By default, SharePoint has a Microsoft Office-like interface, and it is closely integrated with the Office suite. The web tools are intended for non-technical users. SharePoint can provide intranet portals, document& file management, collaboration, social networks, extranets, websites, enterprise search, and business intelligence. It also has system integration, process integration, and workflow automation capabilities.
Put social to work – Share ideas, discover answers and keep track of what your colleagues are working with new social features throughout SharePoint.
Share your stuff – Publish content to SharePoint from any Office application and share with people inside and outside your organization in a few simple clicks.
Take SharePoint on the go – Share documents, update your activity feed and keep in touch with your colleagues from your mobile phone or tablet.
Keep projects on track – Organize all your projects and tasks to get visibility into upcoming deliverables across SharePoint, Outlook and Microsoft Project.
Keep your team connected – Set up a new team site in minutes track meeting notes and bring together all your team’s email and documents in one place.
Store and sync your docs – Sync your content in SharePoint to your desktop with SkyDrive Pro, so docs are just a mouse click away, even if you’re offline.
DiscoverFind experts you never knew existed – Connect with people across your organization and easily discover interests, past projects and documents they’ve worked on.
Discover insights and answers – Turn raw data into gorgeous interactive reports with Excel 2013 and publish to SharePoint to share insights with the people you work with.
Find what you’re looking for – Customize and narrow your search to deliver more relevant results, and get recommendations on people and documents to follow.
Publish apps to the SharePoint store – Make your apps available to everyone to try and buy through the public Store or only available to your employees through the corporate catalog.
Build eye-catching sites – Use familiar design tools and flexible controls to create dynamic intranet and internet sites to share your organization’s vision with everyone.
- Facilitates Team Working and Knowledge Sharing – SharePoint facilitates team working by creating team spaces where team members can place all of the information tools and knowledge that they need to fulfill their objectives. Sharing knowledge within the team enables everyone to gain access to tools and knowledge that best-of-breed team workers employ. This raise the quality and productivity of the team.
- Improved Business Intelligence – Enable people to make better-informed decisions by presenting business-critical information in one central location. Office SharePoint Server 2007 makes it easy to create live, interactive business intelligence (BI) portals that assemble and display business-critical information from disparate sources, using integrated BI capabilities such as dashboards, Web Parts, scorecards, key performance indicators (KPI’s)
- Increased Efficiency – Enables people in the workplace to have easy access to all of the information they need to do their job. They can be located anywhere in the world so long as they have an internet connection.
- Improved Productivity & Management Control – Boost employee productivity by simplifying everyday business activities. Take advantage of out-of-the-box workflow’s for initiating, tracking, and reporting common business activities such as document review and approval, issue tracking, and signature collection
- Enables Legal Compliance – Help meet regulatory requirements through comprehensive control over content. By specifying security settings, storage policies, auditing policies, and expiration actions for business records in accordance with compliance regulations, you can help ensure your sensitive business information can be controlled and managed effectively. And you can reduce litigation risk for your organization.
- Improved Access to Information – Simplify organisation-wide access to both structured and unstructured information across disparate systems. Give your users access to business data found in common line-of-business systems like SAP and Siebel through Office SharePoint Server 2007. Enterprise-wide Managed Document Repositories help your organizations store and organize business documents in one central location.
Facilitates the dismantling of information silos where key business knowledge is stored and lost when a member of staff leaves the organization – this saves time, money and improves quality.